CROMWELL, Central Otago, New Zealand, 30 August 2011. Misha’s Vineyard ‘The Starlet’ Sauvignon Blanc, from Central Otago, took first place when it came to selecting the white wine to be served in the Paddock Club during the 2011 FORMULA 1 SINGTEL SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX next month.
“Since New Zealand doesn’t have a presence on the track at the Formula 1 it’s nice that we get a showing at the prestigious Paddock Club” said Misha Wilkinson, who owns Misha’s Vineyard Wines with her husband Andy.
An initial group of over 70 white wines were taste-tested separately for four different hospitality categories including the Formula One Paddock Club during the extensive selection process. The tasting sessions included three rounds of blind tasting by Singapore GP’s key management, select groups of corporate clients, as well as professional wine connoisseurs.
“We are delighted to complement our current world-class menu selection with the addition of this premium Sauvignon Blanc. Through a rigorous selection process, we ensure that the selected wines perfectly enhance the synergy and balance with the food being served,” said Lea Yuen Ming, Food and Beverage Director, Singapore GP Pte Ltd.
Misha’s Vineyard is one of the very few Central Otago wine producers growing and making Sauvignon Blanc. “We only have two hectares of Sauvignon Blanc, which is grown on such a steep slope that we can only hand-pick it when walking down the slope, not upwards” explains Misha . “Our style of Sauvignon Blanc, which is made with a portion of the wine fermented naturally in old French oak barrels, is different to the Marlborough style and I think it shows that Central Otago is a very versatile region and can produce great white wines as well as Pinot Noir”.
Misha’s Vineyard ‘The Starlet’ Sauvignon Blanc is continuing to live up to its name and has also just been chosen to be served by the glass for the next twelve months at the brand new nightclub Avalon which opens in Singapore on the 16th September. Part of Steve Adelman’s multi-billion dollar Marina Bay Sands complex, Avalon will be housed in the phenomenal architecture of the Crystal Pavilion, designed by world renowned architect Moshe Safdie. Avalon is positioned not just as a nightclub but as a lifestyle destination and promises to bring Hollywood glamour to Singapore. “It’s certainly appropriate that a wine called ‘The Starlet’ is part of that experience” says Misha.
Misha’s Vineyard wines are distributed in Singapore through Crystal Wines and in New Zealand through Negociants New Zealand.
– ends –
• 2011 FORMULA 1 SINGTEL SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX runs from 23rd to 25th September 2011 with the race being held at 8pm on Sunday 25th September. This is the third time that Singapore has held this race and already it has earned the title of “the jewel in the Formula One crown”.
• Singapore first staged this event on 28th September 2008 – it was the first-ever night race in FORMULA ONE history.
• The 5.073km-long Marina Bay Street Circuit, with 61 laps, offers a combination of long straights and fast and demanding turns, providing drivers with a gruelling challenge.
• The Singapore Formula One Paddock Club™ is situated in the Pit Building directly above the Formula One™ team garages. Unrivalled views, unparalleled access, seamless service and the finest cuisine and wines are all provided with an extraordinary attention to detail. A 3-day pass costs approx NZ $13,722.
Race information www.singaporegp.sg
Paddock Club www.f1corporate.com/f1-races/singapore/paddock-club-singapore
For further information please contact:
Misha’s Vineyard Wines Limited
Misha Wilkinson – Director/Owner Tel: +64 210 2200812 Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
* Editors Note: A range of high resolution photos of Misha’s Vineyard is available on request – but not related to the Grand Prix event.
About Misha’s Vineyard Wines Limited www.mishasvineyard.com
Misha’s Vineyard is located on one of the most spectacular sites in New Zealand at the edge of Lake Dunstan in the Bendigo sub-region of Central Otago. The sun drenched north-west facing terraces of the 57 hectare (140 acres) estate provide the optimal conditions for producing world-class Pinot Noir and a range of aromatic white varieties. The ‘no compromise’ philosophy behind Misha’s Vineyard wines required an exacting sustainable viticulture regime, hand-picking of the estate-grown fruit and considerate as well as minimalist winemaking methodologies. Under internationally renowned winemaker Olly Masters, the highly anticipated range of Misha’s Vineyard wines won critical acclaim from their launch in 2008 and in 2010 they were named one of New Zealand’s Top 20 Producers by UK Decanter magazine.